Friday, July 02, 2010

What I Did This Summer

Remember those essays? Surely I wasn't the only one who had to write them? That's what Joyce's prompt for this month - Summer - put me in mind of.

Here's mine:

This year, I had a very busy summer. I took the kids out of school a day early so we could go to Norway to visit my family for two weeks. I couldn't let them attend their last day of school, because if they did, we wouldn't have been able to leave until Friday, and airfare costs more on weekends, and if we had waited until the next week, we wouldn't have been able to stay long enough, because 1) Number One Son started band camp three days after we got back and 2) I had a book released four days after we got back. We couldn't stay in Nashville until the day before band camp started because that was a Sunday and - again - the airfare costs more. And when you're traveling with three people - DH stayed here and held down the fort - you're looking at a few grand for airfare already, and every little bit helps.

So I got back from Norway and immediately kicked into high gear to promote A Cutthroat Business, which was released on June 15th. Signings started on the 17th, and just keep going, along with blogs and articles. This week, just to give you an idea of what's going on, I did an interview for BookEnd Babes on Monday, courtesy of my critique partner, Jamie Livingston, and I'm on the Barnes and Noble Book Club all week, as well as on 7 Criminal Minds all week. That last one means I had to write seven blogs last week. On Friday, in addition to this blog (and B&N and Criminal Minds) I'm on Fresh Fiction, and somewhere in there, there's a blog post for BookPage, too. And next week starts with a TV taping on Monday. And let's not forget the signing on Saturday night and the one next Saturday...

In two weeks we're going to Florida. Back to St. Augustine again; I can't wait to hang out with Nancy Haddock, who's a sweetheart. Before then, though, I have to do and hand in edits on DIY-4, Mortar and Murder, which is due out in January. I just received them, and the cover, today. Isn't it pretty?

My sinister shadow is back, which makes me happy, and you'll notice the third cat. His name is Mischa, and he doesn't actually look like this. He's a Russian Gray, so not striped at all, but the drawing sure is cute.

Before we leave for Florida, I also have to finish an article for Mystery Readers Journal, for their Island Mysteries issue. Mortar and Murder takes place on an island, and I'm rather proud of it, so I'm trying to come up with an article for the MJR fall issue to hawk my next book.

I mentioned my deadline earlier: it's September 1 for DIY-5, which currently has the working title Flipping Out. I doubt I'll get to keep it - the powers that be at Berkley didn't let me keep Island Getaway for DIY-4 either, but I intend to try. The manuscript is at 51,000 words right now, with just under 40K to go. I usually end up around 90,000 and have to cut a few thousand to tighten things up. They have to be written before I can cut them, though, unfortunately.

I have some book related events scheduled in early August too, and then it's time to get the kids ready to go back to school again. Oh yeah, and we're trying to buy another house...

And there you have it. What I did this summer.

And what I'll be doing next summer as well, most likely. I've gotten word that the sequel to A Cutthroat Business, Hot Property, is scheduled for release same time next year, so I guess I'll probably be doing it all over again then.

So what about you? Done anything good yet this summer?  

10 comments:

Dru said...

I love the new cover for Mortar and Murder.

Annette said...

The new cover looks fabulous, dahling.

What I want to know, Jennie, is what you do in your spare time?

Ha.

Joyce said...

Holy crap. I got tired just reading this. You must never sleep!

I'm off to the humongous flea market in Rogers, Ohio today. (Hubby can actually take a vacation day in this job--what a novelty!) See yinz later!

Laurissa said...

Isn't it funny how once you have kids your summer activities are all scheduled around their activities. Knowing the ages of your children, it's safe to assume that your schedule will remain the same for many years to come. Enjoy it now because it all goes so quickly.

I love the cover of your new book especially the new kitten!

I hope you have fun on vacation and get to relax a bit, because we now know you don't have any time at all to relax when you're home:-)

PatRemick said...

Good? Summer? My reaction to changing the calendar was ... are you kidding me? Is it really July already.... But I may need a month to recover after reading about your busy schedule!

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Sounds like the life of luxury, there, Kiddo. What I see is "trip to Norway," "trip to St. Augustine."... What a life!!!

Don't forget to take sunblock!

Cover looks great. Really glad to hear that the series continues.

Mary said...

Don't know about you but I need a nap after just reading this!
Maybe you'll have a minute to enjoy te sun or stars as the case may be.

Jennie Bentley said...

Thanks, Dru (and everyone)! I love the cover too. Totally lucked out with my cover artist. Berkley Prime Crime in general do some nice covers, but I think mine are even nicer than most.

Annette, what is ziz 'spare time'?

Joyce, enjoy your flea market. I LOVE those. Don't have any good ones around here, though, sadly.

Laurissa, I try to enjoy my kids, I really do, but they interfere with my writing...

Pat, I know - it goes faster and faster every year, doesn't it? Means I'm getting older and older, I guess.

Will, yes, a life of luxury for sure. Not that I'm complaining; I could be doing worse. And I'll definitely remember the sunblock. I turn into a lobster if I don't.

Jennie Bentley said...

Mary, you snuck in there while I was writing. Thank you, honey. I'm relaxing, I promise.

M Pax said...

Sounds like a very busy summer.