Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful: Judith Evans Thomas

It's recently dawned on me that what distinguishes humans from other species is that we are hopeful. Consider life as a turtle or spider or avocado.

They, the other species, follow a set regimen: birth, growth, mating, death. We, on the other hand, expand our growth phase with flights of fantasy. Some choose to do Donald Trump, I can do what I want, whenever I want. Others like the oldest and most respected game show host set in for the long haul.

"Bob Barker is best known as the host of TV's The Price Is Right of TV's Truth or Consequences for 18 years before signing on to host the popular game show The Price Is Right in 1972. The show, in which contestants try to guess the price of potential prizes, is now the longest-running game show in television history. Barker is also a well-known advocate for animal welfare and animal rights; for years he has ended The Price is Right telecasts with a reminder to viewers to spay and neuter their pets." HUH????

I appeared on High Roller with Alex Trebek over thirty years ago. He was young, I was young. He is still hosting and looks the same. I have jowels and crows feet.

Now the one that really annoys me is "Deal or no Deal". I mean.. Howie Mandell as a sex symbol with all those numbered girls ( gorgeous models) saying "Hi Howie" as if he is some pharoh? Get real. But I watch. Right now, a young woman dressed in lime green has convinced the show's producers to dress the lovely Vanna White ladies in lime green and because her entire goal in life is to get a lime green Escalade, she is being offered just that to NOT go for the $500,000 prize.

The mystery writer/conspiracy theorist wonders how she would get to this point in the show that they could offer her the (read advertising) Escalade. She made the deal and would have lost otherwise.

I'm feeling a murder coming on. Don't tell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I agree, I can't stand that show, but have been sucked into it more times than I care to admit. The phony drama on the part of Howie and the girls is obnoxious, though I can imagine that the contestants are more than a little tense about the game. Oh well, it's good background noise when writing the dreaded synopis...

Anonymous said...

Judith, you look better than all those girls. And much, much younger than Alex.

Anonymous said...

When my sister-in-law moved here from Ireland with her two small sons, the youngest only 8 months old, she was horrified by many things but primarily American TV. The news, which was in its fearmonger infancy, constantly had stories about abducted children, each sounding as though it had happened THAT DAY from the park down the street. Though she thought America was a freakishly dangerous place for her boys, it was the day her youngest son said his first sentence, in perfect Bob Barker intonations: "A Newwwwwww CAR!" that we really thought she was going to head for the international gate. Ultimately, the boy gained other phases (notably "Come on down!")and has grown up to be a nice but decidedly American man. My sister-in-law remains unwillingly receptive to latest news hour's horror. Currently, West Nile virus stalks her family...

Anonymous said...

Get this: I volunteered to help out in a skit for the "recognition dinner" for my new department. The part I was assigned is as one of the box-holding girls on "Deal or No Deal"! I'm not sure who's playing Howie, however . . .