Monday, January 04, 2010

2010

by Gina Sestak

Good Morning, Everyone, and Happy New Year.

In this, my first post of 2010, I had considered writing about resolutions, but I think Wil beat me to it. That's okay. I'm not that fond of resolutions anyhow. As I grow older, I find I'm making the same resolutions year after year, and they all boil down to one thing: Stop being the way I am and start being the way I'm not. This year, I think I'm just going to accept myself the way I am - warts and all.

Resolutions aside, I come to the real issue of this year, one that is sure to impact us all for decades to come. No, not the wars or health care or table games in Pennsylvania, although those things are important. What I mean to focus on is pronunciation: When you look at the number in the title of this post, do you say two thousand ten or twenty ten?

Both options have support. We've been saying two thousand ever since the year 2000, and before that when we spoke of 2001: A Space Odyssey. We could have said twenty oh one, but we didn't. On the other hand, I never heard any one call years in the past century by their longer namss. We always said nineteen twenty or nineteen ninety nine.

So what is it? What's your preference for the New Year?

10 comments:

JournoMich said...

I think I prefer twenty-ten because we can. It sets this year apart. Shows its unique side. Makes it different. Let's celebrate that difference, whatever it's worth.

I mean, since you brought it up...

Michele
SouthernCityMysteries

PatRemick said...

Gina, this is so funny. I blogged about this same topic over at my personal blog, http://patremick.blogspot.com
Great minds think alike and all that...

So I'll confess I 'm a wannabe for the Facebook group that says say twenty-ten because it sounds cooler....:)

Happy 2010 all!

Jenna said...

I say twenty-ten. Two thousand ten if I'm trying to be official. Depends on who I'm talking to, yanno. But in daily life, who can spare the time for that extra syllable...? ;-)

Joyce Tremel said...

I think I'll just say "ten."

I like to be contrary, as you can tell...

Carol Silvis said...

I prefer twenty-ten.

Carol Silvis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Ruby Miller said...

I agree with everyone else - twenty ten.

Maybe because, like Michelle said, it gives this whole decade a different feel, a new beginning.

~Heidi

queenofmean said...

I prefer twenty-ten, too. It's just easier.

Jemi Fraser said...

I've found myself saying both, but 20-10 is becoming more prevalent.

Patg said...

I've always said twenty oh one and will say twenty ten. But then I was brainwashed by Twenty oh one the space odessey. And then by the sequel Twenty ten.
Patg