Wednesday, January 06, 2010

The Long Farewell

by Annette Dashofy

I’m so glad to be solidly mid-way through the first week of 2010. Life is gradually beginning to get back to normal. At least if you consider shoveling snow on a daily basis, “normal.”

The entire holiday thing goes on way too long if you ask me, which no one has. Christmas cards and ornaments go on sale in some stores right after the Fourth of July. Halloween decorations come down on November first and are replaced with Christmas lights.

And the day after Christmas, we begin to reminisce. We look back at the past year. And in this case, we look back at the past decade. I admit it. I rather enjoy these trips down memory lane.

At first.

On the Sunday before New Years, CBS Sunday Morning (one of my all time favorite TV shows) does a tribute to those who have passed during the year. I never miss it. I arm myself with a box of tissues and sniffle through the film clips and photographs.

But then there are the compilations that are rerun on news and pseudo-news programs. Over. And over. And over again. By the time New Year arrives, I am so thrilled to know I won’t have to watch any more of those blasted things.

But of course, they run them again on New Year’s Day.

Thankfully, I haven’t seen a retrospective in a couple of days now. No more re-hashing what a lousy year and decade it’s been. No more clips of Michael Jackson and Walter Cronkite.

(To be honest, I don’t know that I’d ever tire of clips of Walter. It just makes me weepy to know he’s gone and I’m really tired of being weepy).

So good-bye and good riddance to the long farewells. Bring on 2010 and a bunch of new news stories. Preferably a few good ones, thank you very much.

10 comments:

PatRemick said...

Would that be "good" ones as in news stories about good news... or "good" as in the kind we talk about with other people -- the jaw-dropping scandals that seem to have been so prominent in 2009? I've had enough of the latter for a while, thank you very much, though they do make for interesting conversation over the lunchroom table at work....

Jenna said...

It *was* a crazy year for celebrity deaths, wasn't it? Let's hope 2010 will be better. I know no one lives forever, but last year seemed excessive. We had a few deaths in and around the family this year, too, which didn't make it easier. Or maybe it's just because I'm getting to that certain age where I'll have to start reading the obituaries on a regular basis...

Annette said...

Pat, I meant GOOD news. As in publishing contracts all around. Worldwide peace. Jobless rates dropping dramatically.

Honest CEOs taking over the world.

Excuse me while I now remove my rose-colored glasses.

Jennie, we do reach an age where we're forced to spend more time having family reunions in funeral homes. That was me two years ago when I lost several cousins and uncles, and my dad all in a six-month period. Thankfully, 2009 was kind to me in that department.

Joyce Tremel said...

I'm definitely tired of hearing about anything to do with celebrities. News flash to those people: I DON'T CARE!!! Dead, alive, somewhere in between--I DON'T CARE!!!

Whew. That feels much better.

Word verification: domases. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Annette said...

Joyce, I don't mind hearing about celebrities once. Maybe twice. But then I'm done.

And I love your word verification. Perfect!

Ramona said...

Honesty, employment, world peace, publishing contracts...works for me.

Recent quote from my mother: "We went to ______'s funeral yesterday. We had the best time."

Gina said...

Joyce -
I agree with you! I don't even really care who my next door neighbor is having sex with, let alone Tiger Wood.

Jemi Fraser said...

I like the retrospectives as well. I actually didn't see a single one this year. I especially like the TSN one (sports), but apparently I was just too busy :(

Oh well, at least I didn't have overload!

Becky said...

Annette get cable then you won't be limited.

Annette said...

Nope. We don't have cable out here. And I just dumped internet satellite service. I'll be darned if I'm going to jump back into satellite TV.