Monday, April 18, 2011

Live and Learn

I've moved on.  After working on my current project until I reached the point of "it must be done", I've decided to adopt a new way of proceeding with my next project.  I'm writing the synopsis and log line first.

This cannot be an original idea, right?

After finishing my last novel, I did a post-mortum review.  I borrowed this technique from my day-job life as a product manager.  After you finish a project, you answer the following questions:

1)  How did the project unfold?  What were the major problems?
2)  What techniques or processes worked well?  What did not work?
3)  Compare your original schedule and work plan to your final - what adjustments will you make to your schedule and work plan on future projects?
4)  What changes do you want to make to your process?

I would share the answers, but it's a bit like telling everyone what you weigh.  Either everyone will want to kill you because you are too perfect, or everyone will turn away because nobody wants to admit that anyone could weigh that much.  So I'll gloss over the details and focus on the biggest change I'm making to my process.

I'm going to write the synopsis and log line for my novel first.  Then I'm writing the query letter and back cover blurb.  And then, I'm going to ask trusted readers for feedback on which project I should write next.

Does anyone else do this?  I've got so many projects rolling around in my mind, I feel conflicted on which one to pursue.  I figure this approach could add the reader's point of view into my process.  Couldn't hurt, could it?  After all, there are some stories that folks don't want to read, right?

So what do you think?  Am I on the right track?

Live and learn.  Or as my old daddy says, "Live and learn.  Die and forget it all."

5 comments:

C.L. Phillips said...

My apologies for the two hour delay in posting. I'm not quite the expert I'd like to believe I am in "scheduling" posts in advance.

Happy writing.

Joyce Tremel said...

No problem!

I couldn't write all that first. Even when I have an outline, so much changes during the course of a book, that it would be unrecognizable. A short, general plot summary works best for me.

C.L. Phillips said...

Excellent suggestion.

I'm also finding that writing by long-hand causes more words and ideas to flow.

Anyone else have that experience?

Patg said...

I think I could write a log line first, but I'm a pantser, so I have to write write write just to get a handle on where I'm going and what the story is about.
My idea of an out line would be 3 sentences: what the beginning, middle and end would be.
And as I've said before, if I can get a first chapter done, then I write the ending. Destinations play a big part in my life.
Patg

C.L. Phillips said...

Patg,

Panster? Que es?

I really like the suggestion of first and last chapter. I will try this.