Friday, August 19, 2011

Paraprosdokian

by Pat Gulley


In trying to keep up with my fellow bloggers, I find there isn’t much new out there to talk about when it comes to writing. Well, personal experiences, but I haven’t had too many of those lately. So, I remembered this funny definition with examples and thought we could all have a laugh at something we probably do frequently in our writing but didn’t know there was a long and mouth-bending definition for it. Enjoy!

“A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect, sometimes producing an anticlimax.”
 
Some real cuties I thought related to writing and suggested murder and mayhem for mysteries. What do you think?

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.

The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism. To steal from many is research.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Some people are like Slinkies ... not really good for anything, but you can't help smiling when you see one tumble down the stairs.

I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted pay checks.

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others whenever they go.

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

10 comments:

Annette said...

Of course, Pat, the real humor in these is that they're all true. Thanks for the Friday smile.

Jenna said...

LOL! Thank you...

Ramona said...

LOL, Pat, but try to say "paraprosdokian" 10 times fast. Or, heck, even one time fast!

Gina said...

These are great, Pat. I recently read another one:
God said come forth and receive eternal happiness, but I came third and got a toaster.

Patg said...

Yes, Gina, that's the way to do--chicks for free!!!!
Funny.
Patg

Norma Huss said...

Pat, that's my laugh for today! Make that - how many are there again? Now, if I were really briliant I'd add one - or steal it? Does that work? Nope.

P. A. Deuson said...

I should have read this earlier! I could have used the chuckle. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to memorize the paraprosdokians and whip one or two out in the conversation to show my wit. I'll work on it. Thanks for the laughs.

Jo P

Anonymous said...

I loved this. Thanks for sharing.

Gloria

Anonymous said...

Good Golly Miss Gulley! That was good! Thanks for the smile Hutch