Thursday, December 08, 2011

Christmas Shopping n'at

by Joyce

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting motivated to get ready for Christmas. I ordered a few things online, but I've been putting off hitting the stores. For most of the past month I worked on a revision for my agent (I sent it to her on Friday) and this week I'm getting caught up on all the cleaning that I put off. I even washed down the kitchen walls and cabinets (I like to do that twice a year. Sick, I know).

But shopping? I just don't want to do it. You'd think with only three people to buy for I could finish it in one trip. Here's what will happen, though. I'll print my list, and head out. I'll hit Target, Kohl's, Sears, and if I'm really desperate--Walmart. I'll maybe get a few things, but decide I don't like the prices of most things, go home and hope they go on sale next week. Rinse, lather, repeat. Before I know it, it's a few days before Christmas, the damn things never go on sale and I have to buy them anyway.

I think I just came up with my own solution. Okay. Maybe I'll get the shopping done today. I'll report back later. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

11 comments:

Annette said...

Good luck, Joyce.

Everyone on my list gets gift cards except for hubby. And he usually tells me what he wants. This year I have a few ideas to surprise him.

I'll probably be in the return line with them the week after Christmas.

Ramona said...

I have a long and complicated gift list, for people all over the country. This year, I'm ordering food online. Everyone can use a dozen gift-wrapped whoopie pies, right?

This year's good news is, my little nephew has discovered Harry Potter! So I get to peruse the Legos, action figures, games, etc. It will be like old home week! I'm actually excited to do this one.

Joyce Tremel said...

I love gift cards, but #2 son hates them. He'd rather have me do his shopping for him than have to go to a store himself.

Joyce Tremel said...

I miss buying toys. I think we still have several thousand dollars worth of Legos in our attic.

Karen in Ohio said...

Joyce, we also had a ton of Legos in our attic. My six-year old grandson makes a beeline to them whenever he visits, and he can spend hours just playing with them.

Did you see TLC yesterday? Full of great suggestions. I'm giving my three daughters each a dozen bottles of red wine, and we're getting the same thing. Because the selection is the same for all of us, even though we're spread all over the country we can compare tasting notes.

C.L. Phillips said...

Joyce,

I make a list. I check it twice. Naughty people get chocolate. Nice people get more chocolate. And after I finish clicking the buy button, I pour a little bacardi torched cherry rum in my egg nog and stick my nose in my kindle and watch the fire.

May you find the perfect gift for everyone on your list.

Jenna said...

We have at least a thousand dollars worth of Lego, too. It's the one toy Thing One - now twelve - still plays with.

I've bought a few things for Christmas. Thing Two - eight - has had his list prepared for months, so it's been easy. Thing One has asked for two things, and I've gotten them both. Online. :-) He'll need a few more, though, or his pile will be puny compared to his brother's.

And hubby...? Don't even get me started. Then again, he hasn't bought anything for me either. He's getting a new car this week, since someone totaled his old car three weeks ago and we've been waiting for the insurance settlement. And we're trying to buy a new house. Those will suffice for Christmas, I think. Along with my plane ticket to Norway in February.

Gina said...

I haven't started shopping for Christmas yet. Just can't get in the mood. Things just don't seem very Christmas-y this year. Even the few flakes of snow that fluttered down yesterday seemed more annoying than enchanting.

Anonymous said...

The only thing I promised myself was I wouldn't buy my daughters any more clothes. Their closets are beyond full. I never had clothes like that when I was their age. So that makes it a bit easier :)

Patg said...

I go browsing around the mall, early, just in case, but I only have a few gifts for family and the rest are all the enchanges for groups. I'm also a great after-Christmas-buyer for next year.
If you don't do the black Friday weekend for sales, they don't get that much better unless you are part of that thrill/stress loving bunch that shop on Christmas Eve.
Just going to watch them is foder for any writer. 0-o
Patg

Joyce Tremel said...

I managed to get more than half my shopping done, including a little something for myself. Exhausted.