Thursday, March 08, 2012

Saying Goodbye

by Joyce

Back in 2006, a handful of Pittsburgh Sisters in Crime members decided to jump on the blogging bandwagon. Although we were all writers, we decided we didn't want to write about writing. There were too many other blogs that did that. What would we write about? We tossed it around awhile and finally came to a consensus with our theme: Where writers talk about life, work, and murder.

In the beginning, we wrote about some of the jobs we'd had. Gina beat us all with this one--especially me. We wrote about life in general, about crimes, about books--you name it. I wrote about the police department where I worked as a secretary. It turned out each of us had a little niche--a little area of expertise that we'd impart to our readers five days a week. Our readership kept growing until a year or so ago.

With the popularity of social media like Facebook and Twitter, group blogs like ours have lost readers. So, like the fabulous Lipstick Chronicles did not long ago, we're closing our doors, shutting up shop, saying hasta la vista baby, taking the A train...well, you get the idea.

As of the end of March, Working Stiffs will be just a memory. We'll keep the site online so you'll still have access to our archives, but it will be closed to comments. You'll still be able to find most of us either on Facebook or Twitter (or both). Some of us have websites and blogs, or contribute to other group blogs.


Thank you to all our readers and especially all the fantastic guest bloggers who've stopped by to visit. We love you all!

As we say our goodbyes, we'll be sure to let you know where to find us.

You can find me most days on Twitter: twitter.com/JoyceTremel. I have a website too (which really needs to be updated!) www.joycetremel.com.

It's been a fun ride.

23 comments:

Annette said...

And that makes it official.

It's been a great six years. And it's been an honor to share the blogosphere with everyone here.

Gina said...

But I hate Facebook and Twitter . . .

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I agree, Annette. It's been an honor to share this little spot of the world with everyone.

Ramona said...

Yes, an honor and a lot of fun. It's sad to see it go, but it's a good sad. You can only miss something if it is worth missing.

Thank you to the Working Stiffs for inviting me to participate (a little) and thank you for so many great posts.

Anonymous said...

I rarely posted, but usually read. Will miss you.

xo
Kathy Sweeney

Edith Maxwell said...

Interesting trend. I have stopped by many times and enjoyed your posts, so I'll miss the blog, and I know I'll see all of you around on FB and twitter. Thanks for the ride.

Jenna said...

*sniff*

I don't have another day this month to say goodbye, but I'll be around in the comments for a bit longer. And yes, it's been an honor. Thanks for inviting me - a non-Pittsburgher - to share the blogosphere with you guys back in 2007!

Anonymous said...

As an occasional guest and visitor, I can say I'll miss your guys' Steel Town sensibilities...

Joyce Tremel said...

Now that we'll be gone, I'll probably come up with all kinds of things I want to write about. I still can't believe it's been six years.

Gina, Twitter is a blast. You should try it!

FYI, Susan was one of the original Stiffs and has a great blog all her own--West of Mars. See the sidebar for the link.

Joyce Tremel said...

Ramona, we've been thrilled to have you contribute to the blog.

Joyce Tremel said...

Kathy Sweeney! xoxo

Joyce Tremel said...

Thanks, Edith. We were happy to have you as a guest.

Joyce Tremel said...

Jenna, there will probably be blank spots during the month. Feel free to fill one in!

Joyce Tremel said...

Brad--what a surprise! I hope you'll be at the Festival of Mystery again this year.

Liz Milliron said...

Bummer! You guys became a great way to start my work day - stop by Working Stiffs, drink my tea, and ease into things.

I'll be sorry to see you go - although I'll see a great many of you not only on Facebook/Twitter, but at Pittsburgh SinC meetings.

Thank you so much for my couple of guest blog opportunities. I hope I didn't let you down.

Patg said...

Sniff is right. WS will be missed, and I'm glad I see most of you on Facebook. I'm on Twitter, but I don't prefer it.
Patg

Gina said...

Joyce -
I've tried Twitter. Although it's better than Facebook (I don't care how good a friend you think you are, please don't feel compelled to tell me every time you make a sandwich!), I guess I'm just not a sociable person. I don't want to keep in touch that much.

Donnell Ann Bell said...

Oh, my! This is like the end of an era :( I will miss you all, Working Stiffs. What a phenomenal blog! Success and best wishes to all of you!!!!

Linda Rodriguez said...

So sorry to hear this. WS will certainly be missed. Thanks for the chance to do a guest blog recently. You've built an institution, and it's sad to see it go. Best to all of you!

NL Gassert said...

Oh no. I have to say I’m surprised. I hate to see you go.

Thanks for a great blog. All the best to you …

Nadja

C.L. Phillips said...

Thanks to Joyce, all the writers, and most of all to of our readers. May we meet at the Bouchercon bar in October.

Take care,

C.L.

Joyce Tremel said...

Cindy, I may just permanently attach myself to one of those bar stools. First round is on me!

Alan Orloff said...

Best of luck, Stiffs, and happy writing!