Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Time Management HELP!

By Annette Dashofy

I need some time management help. Or maybe lessons in juggling.

Or maybe psychiatric treatment. What leads a person to completely overload their life? It’s a sickness. And I have it.

Remember last year when I was losing my mind as conference coordinator? At that time, I dreamt of being done with the job so I could have free time. And what do I do with free time? I fill it with other stuff.

Part of it, I blame on my darling hubby. A few months ago, it looked that he might be unemployed by the end of 2009. So far, his job is intact. Knock wood. But at the time, there was much discussion that I should consider “getting a real job.” Never mind that I already work hard at writing, teach some yoga classes, and am primary caregiver for my mom (who, thankfully, is fairly self-sufficient most days). Never mind that I’m area rep for Pennwriters.

I don’t have time for a “real job.”

My solution?

I am now an Independent Sales Representative for Avon. As in Avon Lady.

I love it! For much of my life, I’ve been something of a Tom Boy. Now I get to play with jewelry and makeup and lotions and perfumes. Suddenly, I’m a Girly Girl.

This wasn’t exactly what my husband had in mind. Starting your own business does not result in reeling in copious amounts of cash. I think I’m doing pretty well because I’m not spending more than I’m making. Even with my new collection of cute Girly Girl earrings! But since his job doesn’t APPEAR to be in immediate jeopardy at the moment, he’s ceased the “real job” rumblings. For the moment.

So I’m now juggling THREE jobs. Plus the Pennwriters Area Rep gig.

What, then, incensed me to agree to take on the presidency of the Mary Roberts Rinehart Chapter of Sisters in Crime??? Okay. That one’s easy. No one else would take it.

I’m considering changing my name to Ado Annie. Remember her? From the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Oklahoma? “I’m just a girl who cain’t say no…”

Which brings me back to the time management thing. I figure if I can find a way to balance my writing, my Avon business, my yoga students, my Pennwriters duties, AND my Sisters in Crime presidential duties, I should rank as a time management expert. I could write the book.

If I could find the time.

And now, for your musical enjoyment:

15 comments:

Paula Matter said...

I'm glad to see you put writing at the top of your list!

Since we like to play "What if...?", what if you hadn't stepped up to become the chapter president? What would have happened?

Ramona said...

Annette! There is no Independent Sales Representative for Avon in my neighborhood. We have to talk.

Congrats on your new presidency. I'm sure you will guide the chapter well--and look and smell pretty while doing it.

Joyce Tremel said...

Paula, if Annette wouldn't have stepped up, I probably would have, as I have the same sickness. Annette will be a MUCH better president than I would have been.

I'm glad to see there's another Oklahoma fan here. (Although my absolute favorite musical is South Pacific.)

Annette said...

Joyce, NOW you tell me. I kept waiting for you to take president and I was going to take treasurer.

Ramona! Avon Lady at your service. I'll be bringing my bag of stuff to the reteat, but in the meantime, check out my online store: http://www.youravon.com/adashofy

Paula, I have to put writing at the top. Otherwise I get very cranky.

Heather Webber said...

Wow, Annette. I'm thinking you have a "real job". About four or five of them. And I think you'll be a great president, so maybe everything was just meant to turn out this way. Who needs sleep, anyway? Oh, and if you go to the psychiatrist, bring me along and maybe we can get a group discount.

Jenna said...

LOL! That's it. Just... LOL!

(And yes, I remember Ado Annie. DH did OKLAHOMA once. Dinner theatre in New Jersey. Ado Annie was a stunner. I was 23 and somewhat jealous.)

Annette said...

Thank you, Heather! I keep telling my DH that, but he doesn't GET it. I like the group discount thing. Will be in touch. ;-)

Jennie, you're a stunner, too. No need to worry.

Gina said...

Annette -
Thanks for the enjoyable clip; as you know, however, my favorite musical is Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical.
As I approach my sixtieth birthday, I have come to realize that there is no such thing as effective time management, just as there is no such thing a diet that works or a tooth fairy.
We've just gotta do what we gotta do when we get a chance to do it.

Annette said...

Gina, Reefer Madness just didn't fit the theme this time, though. ;-)

Ah, I fear you may be right about time management. Mostly I seem to be trying to prioritize my lengthy to-do list.

Jade L Blackwater said...

Good luck with all your endeavors Annette! I can relate so well to the progression you describe here... it's always feast or famine, right? I know you'll do great.

Jade

Annette said...

Jade, you're pretty good at taking on a variety of tasks, too! I don't think I have anything on YOU!

Jemi Fraser said...

Love Ado Annie!

If you ever find a solution for the time thing, send it along my way! :)

Annette said...

Jemi, I'll write myself a note to do just that. ;-)

businessmantra said...

This tips can be useful for you to save and manage your time implement a time management plan, plan your week, carry a notebook, respect your promises, write down to do things, plan your work according to urgency etc.

Annette said...

I already do all those things. Otherwise, I wouldn't get ANYTHING done.