Monday, September 12, 2011

What's on your Kindle?

by C.L. Phillips

Time for a confession.  My dear sweet family gave me a Kindle for Christmas 2010 and Jeff Bezos's hand has been in my wallet ever since.

The first step in any addiction is to admit you are powerless, unable to solve your own problem, that you need help.  Okay, I confess.  I need help.  Why?

I have 99 items on my Kindle, all full length books, and I've read every single one of them.  Twice.  And I want to buy more.  NOW.

Ever since gas creeped up to $4 per gallon, I've told myself, "It's cheaper to buy a book on Kindle than it is to drive the Beast to the library."  Or , "It's an indie author, it's only ninety-nine cents."

I remember with absolute clarity the year I placed my credit cards in a ziplock bag filled with water and stowed it in the freezer for six months.  Am I going to have to do the same thing with my Kindle?  Will it survive?

On the plus side, I've rediscovered the joy of reading at a level I didn't think possible as an adult.  As a small child, my mother took me to the library each week, "because the books are free here".  Gotta love those Scots-Irish parents.

Excuse me while I oil the bicycle chain and put my kindle in the freezer.

May you find your addictions as pleasurable, thrifty and healthy as my Kindle addiction.


1 comment:

Jenna said...

LOL! Enjoy your Kindle - you could have worse addictions than $.99 ebooks.