Thursday, March 15, 2007

The Omaha Steak Incident

by Joyce Tremel

I haven't been able to come up with anything witty this week, so I'm recycling a post from last September from my own blog, Musings of a Middle Aged Writer. I hope you enjoy it!

THE OMAHA STEAK INCIDENT

No, it’s not the title of my next novel. It’s what happened when I gave Jerry the phone when the salesman from Omaha Steaks called. I don’t know how they got our number, unless we’re in the phone book under “these people will mortgage their house for steak.”

It started out innocently enough. We’d bought steaks from Omaha in the past, but we purchased them online. We got a nice package of filets and some other things for a reasonable price. They came in a nice little Styrofoam cooler and didn’t take up much space in our freezer. And they were very tasty.

After that, we’d get an occasional email with their latest “special.” Most of the time I’d look at it, then delete it. I think we ordered something once or twice.

Then came the phone call which went something like this:
“This is Omaha Steaks, can I tell you about our latest special?”
“We don’t really need anything right now,” I said.
“I understand that, but we have some really good specials right now.”

He wouldn’t take no for an answer, so I handed the phone off to Jerry. Surely he could get rid of a pushy salesman.

Right.

The Omaha Steak guy and Jerry got along like they’d been best friends since kindergarten.

This is not good, I thought. Boy, was that an understatement.

After he hung up, Jerry said, “$154.00 for steaks is a good price, isn’t it?”

When I could speak again, I found out he’d ordered 12 filet mignons, 6 of some other steak and some hamburgers. After I figured out the cost per pound, it did turn out to be a decent price. It’s just that I’m not used to spending that much on steak. Not all at one time, anyway.

So the next time the Omaha Steak guy calls, I’m telling him that Jerry is not allowed to talk to him anymore.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny story, Joyce!

I once ordered all this frozen raw food for my cats, having been told how healthy it was for them, figuring they'd love it.

Thora never touched it. Pansy tried to eat it for a while, when I coated it in canned cat food. Or maybe she was just eating the canned cat food. Finally she gave up, too.

Now I have 4# of raw chicken and vegetables in my freezer. Here's the thing: how do you get rid of it? I hate to dump it on the trash people, but I'd have to thaw it out for hours to put it down the disposal.

At least you know you'll be eating your steaks!

Any cat owners out there who want to try some raw food on their beasties?

Anonymous said...

That's so funny, Joyce! It sounds like if your husband has free and equal acess to the phone you might be mortgaging that house sooner than you think!

Anonymous said...

Joyce, this story cracked me up. I love it!

Tory, I'm not sure whether my cats would eat the raw food or not (they eat their chipmunks and the occasional bunny raw, so maybe?), but I KNOW my dogs would scarf it down.

Anonymous said...

I once received an offer in the mail from Omaha Steaks -- they would give a free calculator to anyone who ordered from them. I wrote back, explaining that, while I would truly love to receive a free calculator, I could not order steaks because I'm vegetarian. Imagine my surprise when they sent me the calculator anyway! So, I guess the moral is, if you're going to do business with a company that makes its money out of blood and slaughter, Omaha Steaks is the one to choose.