Monday, August 31, 2009

Beginnings

Today my life is all about beginnings. It's back to school day for my daughters. I've survived another summer.

The first day of school has always been my version of New Year's Day. That seems even more relevant this year as we haven't been living in Pittsburgh long.

For the short amount of time we have been here Pittsburgh has become my hometown in a real way. I'm sure all of you natives have heard this before. Pittsburgh is friendly and unique. And it's beautiful. I was sure that when I feel in love with a place it would be somewhere in the desert southwest, probably in Arizona. But then I met Pittsburgh. I still get a thrill when I drive out of the Fort Pitt tunnel, onto the bridge, and there is the city spread out before me. A city I'd grown up learning was filthy and depressed. And it is none of those things!

I could go on and on about the sports teams, the summit and all of the things that are obviously wonderful about this place. But what really makes it great is the people. So much so that I've been writing a book based here. And I like to think that Pittsburgh itself is a terrific character.

When speaking of love and new beginnings I ought to mention that previously I was writing in the romance genre. Nothing wrong with that. I plan to continue with it. One night last spring I was awakened by a new character telling me her story. She's a private eye here in Pittsburgh. So I'm writing her story in first person, another first for me.

I was published as a journalist and a poet in a long ago previous life. And I trained to become a romance novelist. Now I am embarking on a new career with writing suspense. I'm even using a pen name. So I am happy to introduce myself as Sherry Dare, resident of Pittsburgh and suspense novelist.

17 comments:

Jenna said...

Hello, Sherry, and welcome to the Stiffs!

I've only visited Pittsburgh, never lived there, but my impression was the same as yours: that instead of being depressed and depressing, it's a beautiful, vibrant, exciting place, full of nice people and wonderful architecture. (I'm in real estate. Sorry.) I'd love to come back!

Working Stiffs said...

Thanks for the welcome, Jennie. This is my first ever blog so I was all angst riddled!

Sherry

Sarah Simas said...

Hi Sherry!!!

Congrats on blogging- it was wonderful!! Kudos for you, gal, getting those kiddies off to school means more writing time! LOL

And lots of luck with your new adventures in suspense! May your words and ideas flow freely!

Annette said...

Welcome to the Stiffs, Sherry! And welcome to Pittsburgh.

I should mention, I've had the honor of reading some of Sherry's romantic suspense WIP and it's terrific. Can't wait to see the next chapter at critique group!

Melissa Mayhue said...

Congrats on your first ever blog! And congrats, too, on following your heart to pursue the new character's story and in the use of the new voice! From the little bit I've seen of the story, I have no doubt it's going to be great!

~ Melissa

queenofmean said...

Pittsburgh is a great city. Lots of friendly people, plenty of things to do. Can't wait to read your story. I love reading stories set in Pittsburgh.

Tori Minard said...

Hey, Sherry, congrats on your first blog post! Now that you know how fun it is, you'll want to do it all the time, right? My dad is from Pittsburgh. I've only been there a couple of times, but I remember it as green and beautiful, as well as full of fascinating old buildings (and the Carnegie Museum). I'm looking forward to reading more of your WIP.

Tori

Dana King said...

I grew up twenty miles up the Allegheny from the Point. I moved away in 1980, but I never really left. When I'm referring to a trip back to visit my parents, I say without thinking I'm "going home." When I refer to the return trip, I say I'm "going back to Maryland."

Patg said...

I'm an ex Pennsylvanian (Wilkes Barre) and my only trip to Pittsburgh (seems like a coupla hundred years ago) was before they cleaned up the black air. I hear it really cleaned up nicely since.
Welcome to the Stiffs, Sherry.
Patg

PatRemick said...

Welcome -- you made me want to visit Pittsburgh!

Marlene said...

Congratulations on your first blog!!

I love the reference to the New Year. Its great to have the kids home and then its great to drive them back to school *grin*


Can't wait to see the new writings.

Hugs

Catherine said...

Hi Sherry,
Excellent first blog! Never been to the USA (except for an overnight stop) so haven't seen Pittsburgh but you make it sound like a great setting. Enjoy your crime writing in the first person!
Cath

Donna OBrien said...

Hi Sherry ~~

Way to go! Great blog and congrats on embarking on another outlet for creative side. Give it all you've got!

Maureen said...

Sherry,
I'm about an hour north of Pittsburgh, but visit often.
I admire your ability to try out so many different writing styles, kudos to you!
Maureen

Wilfred Bereswill said...

Hey Sherry, sorry for the late shout, but things were a bit crazy yesterday. One of those 16 hour days (day job). Truly a working stiff, I am.

It's about time we got a suspense writer here. My project waiting in the wings is moving toward suspense.

Welcome to the Working Stiffs.

Micole Black said...

Sherry,

You have given us such a wonderful vision on Pittsburgh. I would love to visit it one day.

Thank you,

Micole

Lyn said...

Yay, Sherry! Best wishes with the new PI and the new home town.