Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Too Dumb To Quit


By Martha Reed

I’m at a funny point in my life. When I started my first novel I didn’t really have any idea of how to complete one but I kept at it until it was done.

Some folks call it stubborn. I prefer to call it persistence or, as they say in Texas, too dumb to quit.

I let that first manuscript go and started the next one, more out of habit than desire because I felt like there was still more of this story to tell. As I finished editing Chapter Twenty-Nine on Sunday it hit me: I’ve written another one of the damn things. I mean, it was all part of the great plan: write a novel, polish a pitch, get ready for the Pennwriters Conference in May but I guess I never really believed that I would actually write two full-length novels.

That’s approximately 700 pages or 200,000 words, in the right order.

At what point do you say: Gee, guess what? I’m a novelist!

When did you realize that’s what you are?

5 comments:

Jenna said...

Don't know about novelist, but if you've written novels, I guess that's what you are. If you write, you're a writer, anyway.

Congrats on finishing manuscript number 2!

Laurie said...

Congrats, Martha, on your accomplishments. You've done what only a small percentage of people manage to do!

Good luck at the conference!

And as you say, "Write On!"

Martha Reed said...

Next up: Let's get published! If I can memorize my pitch line past the point where I just stand and stare blankly I might have a chance with this one.

Karen in Ohio said...

No, not blankly, Martha! Inject a little passion.

Woohoo, on finishing two books! Onward!!

Annette said...

Congrats, Martha! You probably don't want to hear that I've finished three (not counting the ones in the drawer, never to see the light of day again) and am past the 100 page mark on number four. And still trying to get the blasted things published.

I agree with Jennie. I feel like a writer. More so after yesterday. But that's my blog post for tomorrow, so we'll leave it at that. ;-)