Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Genesis

by C.L. Phillips

Genesis - or "in the beginning".  How does it start?  That creative spark, a new beginning of a new project?  What comes first?  The protagonist, that character that speaks to you from the dark recesses of your subconscious mind, the one that says, "Let me out.  I have a voice and will not be silent any longer."

Or is it plot?  The story, perhaps ripped from the headlines that sparks the "what if?"

Or is it a burning issue, something that is so deep in you, in your understanding of our world that you simply must explore the issue in your writing?

I've started a new project, born from a not-so-silent-voice, screaming to be free.  This new character, Amelia Fortune, is in dire straits.  Twice widowed, unjustly convicted of killing her most recent husband, she finds herself at the age of twenty four, forced to trade what she values most, her integrity for safety.  But she makes a bad deal and places herself in mortal jeopardy.  And then she discovers the world is not fair and there are no rules.

But enough about my project.  What about your new beginnings.  What sparks your creative genesis?  Care to take a moment and introduce us to someone or a situation that you know you will bring to life?

If I had to describe Amelia's situation in six words, it would go like this.

Twice widowed.  Wrongly convicted. Trapped by integrity.

Oops, that's more than six words.  Try it.  Share what you are working on and let's light a fire under some new projects.

p.s.  I'm in the land of no internet, trapped on a barrier island with no car.    The wifi signal gods have blessed me with a signal, six hours ahead of my usual Wednesday post time.  Hence the early post.  I'll try to answer comments, but am not sure how frequently the signal gods will bless my sand dune.  Know that I am with you in spirit if not in keystrokes.

4 comments:

C.L. Phillips said...

p.s.s. I'm at a writing retreat on a barrier island, forty miles from the nearest gas station.

Wifi is intermittent at best. The pelicans laugh at my impotent attempts to conjure a signal. Pray for me. :)

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

It sounds like a perfect place for a retreat. Few distractions though the pelicans might grab my attention.

Gina said...

I can sum up The Spiral Path, the screenplay I've been working, on in six words: Paraplegic steals buddy's body and life. [Some of you may recognize the plot from the novel I started a few years ago and spoke about at one of our Deep Creek retreats.]
A local production company, Alcyone Pictures, is looking for money to produce this full length feature, as well as another screenplay I co-wrote, Blood Spear: Agent and archeologist avert apocalypse. That's only five words, and they all start with "a." Hey, this is fun!

C.L. Phillips said...

Gina,

I'm hooked. Can't wait to see your screenplay hit the screen.

Susan,

I watched the sun come up this morning while listening to the piping plovers and greater yellowlegs. Now there's a name for a bird. Greater Yellowlegs.

May you all have an inspired day with fluid words that touch your heart.