Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Let's Party!



I know of a lot of writers who talk about crawling into their caves to write. Oh, sure, they might have other names for it, but anyone who has been hit with a looming deadline has been there. We have to shut out all outside influences, say NO to family and friends, and retreat to our workplace of preference to FINISH THE DAMNED BOOK. Or article. Or short story. Whatever it is that’s due.

And that’s where I’ve been since…egads…JULY. Oh, I came up for air in August and September to catch up with everything I’d put off. But then I went under again in October and have been holed up quite a bit since then.

The reason being I have an agent awaiting my rewritten/revised manuscript. And I’ve sort of promised to get it to her in January.

January felt quite reasonable in November. Now? Heh. Not so much. But I’ll make it. I’m close. Real close.

However, being holed up in a cave isn’t so easy this time of year. When I mentioned on Facebook that I was spending the next several days writing, someone asked, “What about Christmas?”

Lucky for me, we’re not big holiday people. My decorations consist of a couple of wreaths on the doors. That’s it. And while I usually mail Christmas cards, don’t look for anything from me this year. Unless I can find some kind of Happy New Year cards. Does Hallmark do those? If they don’t, why not? They make belated birthday cards. Why not belated Christmas cards?

I have, at least, poked my head out of my hole for a few parties. Writers, I’ve noticed, throw the best parties. This is mainly because of: 1.) Books. 2.) Great food. And 3.) Wine

The first writers’ Christmas party of the year was the one held by our Sisters in Crime chapter and hosted by our secretary Lee Ann Dawson.



The second one was a Pennwriters party held at our Eat N Park Restaurant.

Okay, so it lacked the great food and the wine, but it did have our annual book swap-and-steal.

 Each person brings a wrapped book. When you open one, you have the choice to keep it or trade it for one that’s already been opened. In other words, you shouldn’t get too attached to what you get. Someone might steal it from you. Poor Doris Dumrauf. 

Some evil person (me) stole this book from her.

Note: most writers are nice and keep what they get, regardless. But I ask you, what fun is that?

The third party was another Pennwriters one, this one hosted by the lovely and talented Meredith Mileti

That's Meredith on the left.

GREAT food. And I supplied chocolate wine. We did a book swap-and-steal at this one, too. But I promised Doris I wouldn’t steal hers again.

Barb (on the left) reminded me that I’d stolen hers the last two years and threatened to cry if I repeated my dastardly habit. Apparently I’m getting a bad reputation. So I kept what I got.

Regardless.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Years, everyone! 

15 comments:

Fred Connors said...

Thanks for sharing. Sorry I missed them. Merry Christmas to all.

Annette said...

We missed you, too, Fred.

Ramona said...

Looks like fun!

You're such a party girl, Annette.

C.L. Phillips said...

Party? Did someone say party? All I need was permission!! Party ON. :)

Annette said...

Yes, Ramona, that's me. The party animal. Ha!

Patg said...

There most assuredly are Happy New Year cards, and by the box.
Your book parties sound great fun, just like our ornament or White Elephants at my Investment Club. Think I'll suggest the book exchange for next year.
Just keep typing, you'll make it.
Patg

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Oh, fantastic--and what fun to see my book! Um, did the happy-looking reader holding PRIME TIME..um, keep it?

See you all at Pennwriters--so excited!

And happiest of holidays...xoxo

Annette said...

Hank, that's Jennifer Little-Fleck and she most definitely kept it!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Hank, I'm the one responsible for your book being there... Heh...

Patg said...

Oh, so the person with the book can 'give' it away? Hmmm. We don't do that. WE STEAL!!!
Would have stole, Hank, would have stole.
Patg

Annette said...

Yes, Pat, it's STEALING. But if you steal someone else's book you have to GIVE them yours instead.

Hank Phillippi Ryan said...

Oh, wonderful--Jennifer,, hope you like it!

And thank you, dear SusanHG--you were one of my first pals in book world, remember? xoxo

You, too Pagtg--I always think of you as Patg!

Annette, it sounds as if you have this unruly crew well in hand..

meredith Mileti said...

Love that chocolate wine--great in coffee the next morning;-) It was wonderful to see everyone! Happy Holidays to all.

Liz Milliron said...

Annette and Hank - small correction. Jennifer was gracious enough to swap with me, since the I already owned the book I received. I did offer to send it back to her once I'm done with it, however. Now that I've got a few days off, I plan to jump in and read!

Liz Milliron said...

And clearly I need to do a better job of avoiding the camera!