Monday, February 20, 2012

Music and Mystery

by C. L. Phillips

My heroine is in trouble.  As Adele would put it, she's rolling in the deep.  Deep doggie do.  Deep trouble. Deep tension.

But I can't find the right song to play while I'm writing the scene.  Does anyone else play music while writing to evoke a mood?  In the early part of this novel, the heroine is steered to an unconventional twelve-step program.  I bet you can guess the song I played while writing her rejection scene, can't you?

Rehab by Amy Winehouse.

And when she hitches a ride on a desperate escape attempt with her seventh-grade boyfriend, a man who is now a grown-up illegitimate businessman?  What music plays in the background?  Jack and Diane by John Mellencamp. Okay, the timeframe for the song didn't synchronize chronologically, but I decided Jack and Diane is a rock and roll classic.

So now my heroine is trapped.  Restrained on a gurney in the killer's basement.  Nobody knows she is there.  She's been drugged, and when she awakes, she starts to fight.  She must free herself.

And her song?  The music you hear in the background?  What is it?  Tell me.  I need help. :)

Admit it.  You're still singing Rehab in your mind, aren't you?  I know I am.

9 comments:

Annette said...

I'm afraid I'm not much help to you, C.L. I don't play music while writing. In fact, I need QUIET. But I think the setting is probably less a consideration than the mood you're trying to evoke. Perhaps some movie soundtrack music from a scene matching the intensity of yours???

C.L. Phillips said...

Annette,

Splendid idea! Now, what was the emotion I was going for? Must.Drink.Coffee. Now. :)

Patg said...

Can't help one bit, don't listen to modern music and no idea who Amy Winehouse is.
I'm back!
Patg

Jenna said...

I don't listen to music when I write, either. The words are too distracting. Although "I Will Survive" came to mind... ;-)

Liz Milliron said...

My recommendation: Music from one of the fight scenes from "Pirates of the Caribbean." Any one of them will do.

I like music - sometimes - when I write. I can tune out words, but I prefer instrumentals.

Now where is my Pirates soundtrack...

Annette said...

Mary, I currently have the end credit music from POTC as my ringtone on my cell phone!

C.L. Phillips said...

Patg,

Amy Winehouse has a great song with the words, "they tried to make me go to rehab, and I said No, No, No." Three years later, she died at age 27. Cause of death, alcohol poisoning.

Glad you are back.

Annette and Mary - POTC it is!!!! iTunes, here I come!

Joyce Tremel said...

Most of the time I forget to turn the radio on when I'm writing. And because my protag is a country gal, I've been listening to the country station.

I have to say though, if I hear Red Solo Cup one more time I may have to hurt someone.

Liz Milliron said...

I love POTC. I had that music playing for the entire time I was writing yesterday and just felt so energized. I wish my daughter had chosen that as the music for her creative martial arts form, but she chose something else. Ah well.

I hear you about "Red Solo Cup." I get in a "country" mood occasionally, but that one makes me cringe.