Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Not Enough Hours In The Day


By K.M. Humphreys

                That might seem like an odd topic for a blog post, or maybe it’s just perfect.  I’m sitting at the computer writing this blog after a long day at work.  A lot to do and not enough time to do it. 
                That seems to always be the way it is anymore.  It’s not just at work that this problem occurs.  It happens at home, too. 
                Spent most of the weekend doing cleaning around the house.  Floors were swiffered, furniture was dusted, dishes cleaned.  It seems to never end.  My husband is catching up on the laundry and I’ll put it away when it’s done.  Bills need to get paid and bathrooms need to be scrubbed, dog needs to be walked and fed. 
                Exercise? Sleep?  Who has time?  There are too many other things to do in the 24 hours that we have each day.  Meals are often on the run, or eaten much too quickly to be healthy. 
                We all try to squeeze so much into our days.  If we work a full time job that just takes up more of our time.  Not only do we spend time at work, we spend time commuting to and from which takes precious time from everything else we have to do.  There are time I bring work home which keeps me from getting other stuff done that I want to get done.
                We all need a break every once in awhile, but breaks are hard to come by.  If you’re like me, while you’re relaxing, you think of all the stuff you should be doing.  Of course, I think of all the stuff I would rather be doing while sitting in boring business meetings as well.
                Bottom line is our lives have become so busy and so overwhelmingly crowded with tons of stuff we “have” to get done that we don’t often get done the things we “need” to get done.  These things include having a nice, relaxing meal with family, exercising, and getting plenty of sleep.
                Now, I’m off to do the ten million other things I have to get done before I go back to work tomorrow morning.
Ciao!

5 comments:

C.L. Phillips said...

"There will be days like this, my mamma said." Can't remember which song this line is from, but the song is popped into my head as I read your post.

Wanna bet it's stuck there for the rest of the day?

I know what you mean!

Annette said...

Thanks for the earworm, C.L.! :-/ And it's MAMA SAID by the Shirelles.

I hate when life gets that busy, K.M. I'm learning to say "NO" to those things that take my time and energy away from the important things. But I certainly don't have it down pat.

Liz Milliron said...

I hear ya!

There are weekends where on Sunday night I'm wondering how I got there without anything done I wanted to do.

I had to make commitments to myself: I will go to taekwondo/exercise class twice a week. I will spend time every weekend in my "writers" cave. If I just say, "I'll get to it as soon as..." well, I never get to it.

Fortunately, I have a supportive family, a husband who can clean the bathroom and a daughter who can do laundry!

Patg said...

This sounds like the proverbial 'running around like a chicken with its head cut off' syndrome. Unfortunately, it requires sitting down and thinking out and planning how to best use your time with proper mental rest in between. Otherwise when you do have free time you can't get anything done because the brain keeps rotating to what you should be doing over and over and worrying about what you've forgotten because you couldn't possibly have that much time on your hands.
Be careful with that 'no time' thing.
Patg

Jenna said...

In my current WIP, which is a science fiction romance, there are twenty six and a half hours in the day. I'd take it.